What Is VxWorks? | Wind River
WIND RIVER, AGENTS OF CHANGE
WHEN IT MATTERS, IT RUNS ON WIND RIVER.
VxWorks®, the industry’s leading real-time operating system (RTOS), provides a family of products that deliver all the scalability, safety, security, and virtualization capabilities you need to meet today’s development challenges for building intelligent, connected systems.
The Foundation for Embedded Innovation in More Than 2 Billion Devices
VxWorks has been the industry-leading real-time operating systems (RTOS) for building embedded devices and systems for more than 30 years. Its rich functionality helps our customers deploy innovative products while lowering costs and shortening production cycles.
Click here to download VXWorks Catalogue
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
Enabling the Future of Connected Devices
- Expandable and upgradable architecture: VxWorks can adapt and evolve to match changing market requirements, your needs, and technology advancements. The VxWorks core kernel enables upgrades and new feature additions to be accomplished faster and with minimal retesting of the entire system.
- Scalable footprint: VxWorks is scalable to meet your project’s unique memory footprint, functionality, and processing power requirements.
- Broad connectivity: The modular nature of VxWorks allows you to add connectivity and networking capabilities and bring many previously disconnected devices online without reworking the core of your embedded software.
- Uncompromising security and safety: For over 30 years, VxWorks has been the foundation that enables leading innovators in aerospace and defense, automotive, industrial, and medical industries to create differentiated, certifable safety- and security-critical systems.
- ARINC 653–compliant platform: Wind River® VxWorks 653 Platform is fully compliant with ARINC Specifcation 653 and can also be deployed in programs requiring alignment with the Future Airborne Capabilities Environment (FACE™) Technical Standard. VxWorks 653 3.0 Multi-core Edition adds support for the latest multi-core processors and provides full virtualization support for ARINC 653, VxWorks, Linux, and Windows® on a shared multi-core processor. In addition, commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) certifcation evidence for RTCA DO-178C and EUROCAE ED-12C Design Assurance Level (DAL) A is provided with VxWorks 653, eliminating the risk of creating and certifying an operating system and related tools for each new project.
- MILS support for multilevel secure systems: Wind River VxWorks MILS Platform implements the Multiple Independent Levels of Security (MILS) system architecture that enables you to safely and securely share the same hardware platform, helping reduce development costs and size, weight, and power (SWaP) requirements.
- Safety-critical certifcation support: Wind River VxWorks Cert Platform provides a COTS solution for delivering safety-critical applications that must be certifed to the stringent requirements of RTCA DO-178, EUROCAE ED-12, or IEC 61508 certifcation evidence in avionics, transportation, industrial automation, and medical device industries.
- Proven virtualization technology: Virtualization Profle for VxWorks delivers a real-time Type 1 hypervisor that enables consolidation of multiple standalone hardware platforms on one multi-core processor, helping reduce bill-of-material (BOM) costs and speed time-to-market
- Java runtime support: In addition to existing C/C++ application support, Wind River Micro Runtime provides an optimized embedded Java runtime engine for VxWorks to deploy Java applications specifcally for embedded devices that have a smaller footprint requirement on resource-constrained devices. IoT developers can use Micro Runtime to design applications, providing increased development effciency and code portability; and to provide over-the-air bug fixes, saving money and even generating new areas of revenue.
- Lower risk and faster integration of third-party technology: VxWorks’ unmatched ecosystem of hardware and software technology partners enables you to differentiate your product offerings with leading-edge features and capabilities and bring your devices to market faster while reducing risks and development costs.